Location: Bulgaria – Pleven
Route type: Running
Route length: 5.40km
The name Kaylaka comes from the Turkish word kayalik and means rocky place. It is a large park and a protected area south of Pleven, Bulgaria, located in a karst valley. The park is spread over an area of 10 square kilometers and is surrounded by steep cliffs ideal for climbing. The ruins of the Storgosia Roman Fortress are located in Kaylaka, as well as ponds and tanks with boats and pedals, a swimming pool, hotels, cafes, restaurants, discos and playgrounds.
Originally only a Roman road became a fortress in late antiquity due to Gothic raids and other barbarians after 238. At the beginning of the 4th century it was fortified with a defensive wall of 2.20 meters wide. The archaeological excavations have also discovered two gates and three defensive towers, as well as residential buildings, a large basilica of the fourth century and a public stable. The fortress exists until the end of the sixth century, when the settlement of the Slavs led to its abandonment, and during the reign of the Ottoman Empire the fortress was virtually destroyed (probably in the 16th century) so that the stones could be used for the construction a wall around the Turkish barracks in Plevna.
The museum was opened on September 17, 2018 in a cave in Kaylaka Park. It is about 5 km away from the center of Pleven, which makes it a beautiful, special and easily accessible destination. The museum has been built by Bulgarian and French architects, designers and oenologists and curators of the Pleven History Museum. The museum has over 6000 bottles of Bulgarian wine from all regions of the country and many of them are on sale. In addition, the museum boasts the largest collection in the country with over 7,000 old wines (ages 30 to 90). Besides wines, they are also exhibited with various objects used in the wine production process from several historical periods, even from the Thracian period. In the cellar there are 100 wine barrels of French wine from all over Bulgaria.
The chapel was built between 1903 and 1907 in the style of the neo-architect P. Koychev and is dedicated to the Russian and Romanian soldiers who fell into the liberation of Bulgaria during the siege of Plevna in 1877. The remnants of many of these soldiers were preserved in the mausoleum. The icons in the chapel's mausoleum are the works of Bulgarian artists. the mausoleum bears the name of Saint George, the patron saint of the soldiers, and is also present in the coat of arms of Pleven.
Project "Green Tourism Products" (Green Tour Pro) ROBG291 is co-financed by the European Union through the European Regional Development Fund under the Interreg V-A Romania – Bulgaria Programme.
Total eligible value of the project: 498 884.65 euro
Amount of EU contribution: 424 850.04 euro ERDF
The content of this website does not necessarily represent the official position of the European Union. The initiators of the site are the sole responsibles for the information provided through the site.