Location: Bulgaria – Ruse
Route type: Hiking
Route length: 39.50km
The 14th century town offers a beautiful panorama of the locality and the Cerni Lom River. It is known for how well preserved various elements of that period, the fortified walls, the workshops of that period, the nobility chambers, various objects, ceramics, jewelery, all of which are part of the Borovo thesaurus exhibited at the Russian History Museum. A brief history of the fortress shows that the city was the successor of a former Byzantine fortress of the sixth century, but the area was inhabited since the arrival of the Thracians. Cherven was first mentioned in the 11th century in an old Bulgarian apocryphal chronicle. It became important after 1235, when it became the headquarters of the medieval Bulgarian Orthodox Bishopric of Cherven. It was affected by the Mongolian raids of the Golden Horde in 1242 and was briefly conquered by the Byzantine troops during the reign of Tsar Ivailo (1278-1280).
Although founded during the Second Bulgarian Empire, the earliest written mention of the monastery dates from the fifteenth century to an Ottoman fiscal register. The monastery became famous in the 17th century after the death of St. Dimitar Basarbovski. Saint Dimitar Basarbovski was a shepherd and led an ascetic life in the rocks of the monastery. He died in 1685. He was buried in the village church, but during the Russian-Turkish war of 1768-1774, General Pyotr Saltykov agreed to transfer his relics to Russia. The road was passing through Romania. At that time there was an epidemic of plague in this country. The legend says that when the saint's relics entered Bucharest, people ceased to die from the plague. The city's residents asked the general to leave the saint's body there. Today its relics are located in Bucharest, in the church of St. Constantine and Elena. In 1937, Father Hrisant settled in the Basarbovo monastery and reopened it. The monastery celebrates its saint on October 26 - St. Demetrius Day.
It is a cave situated in the Danube Plain, northeast of Bulgaria, Rusenski Lom Park. With a total length of 13,437 m, Orlova Chuka is the second longest cave in the country after Duhlata. The cave was discovered in 1941 and opened for tourists in 1957. Orlova Chuka hosts 14 species of bats. In the cave were discovered spears of spears, axes and pieces of ceramics dating back to prehistoric times. Here are also the cave bears fossils.
They are a group of monolithic churches, chapels and monasteries from Rusenski Lom Natural Park, built of solid rocks at 32 m above the river, on the bank of which are built and completely different from other complexes of monasteries in Bulgaria, located near the village of Ivanovo. The complex is renowned for its beautiful and well-preserved medieval frescoes. The complex was distinguished by its famous frescoes, well preserved, from the 13th and 14th centuries, representing very well the medieval Bulgarian art. The Compex consists of the Chapel of St. Michael the Archangel (The Buried Church), the Baptistery, the Gospodev Dol Chapel, the Church of St. Theodore (the Demolished Church) and the Main Church.
Project "Green Tourism Products" (Green Tour Pro) ROBG291 is co-financed by the European Union through the European Regional Development Fund under the Interreg V-A Romania – Bulgaria Programme.
Total eligible value of the project: 498 884.65 euro
Amount of EU contribution: 424 850.04 euro ERDF
The content of this website does not necessarily represent the official position of the European Union. The initiators of the site are the sole responsibles for the information provided through the site.